7.05.2010

Cat Kissing

Many years ago I read a book called Catwatching by famed zoologist and ethologist Desmond Morris. In it he said that our feline friends view the humans they live with as sort of giant cats. A pretty cool theory…

However, if that is the case, I wonder if they think we are quite strange giant cats. Example: several times a day I will kiss my cats on the head while making a very loud smooching sound. As far as I know, this behaviour does not exist anywhere in the animal kingdom. Although my kitties have come to tolerate/accept this form of affection from their giant cat mum, they probably think it is totally bizarre!

6 comments:

Kea said...

Yes, I smooch my three all the time, with accompanying loud smooching sounds, and they tolerate it to varying degrees. :-)

When I'm p*ssed off at them for something, I will hiss...but so far none has taken me seriously. They seem to know I'm a pushover. Can't think how they got that idea!

♥I am Holly♥ said...

I've never thought about it but I bet they do think we are absolutely nuts!! I do that all of the time!! Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

One Cats Nip said...

Like the others I never though about what the cat thinks when I make those sucking kissy noises on his head. I do it to Tygana all the time and he never does anything weird I guess he expects it. I havent done it to Pepper cause I dont know how he will react. But I will say when I do it sometimes I wonder if I'm getting an type of unsavory bugs or debris on my mouth. ICK

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

Our Mom smoochies us all the time, Dad does too. And the smoochie kisses are always accompanied by a LOUD smoochie sound. We pretend to be indifferent but really we LOVE it!

Kate said...

Yep me too and my husband is worse then ame at doing it.

he also likes to smell our cats necks, he says it is a lovely calming smell.

i love the look on our cats faces as my husband picks them up and gives thema great big kiss on the forehead. It sort of says "oh no not again" :)

MTVA said...

I do it, too! When they let me get away with it, that is...and I can always count on Alvin to return the kissies! He just loves to lick my chin, for some reason!