6.30.2010

The New Door Horror...


Just when I think I know my cats they go and do something that throws me off. I usually like to write my blog on Friday, but we had a new front door installed yesterday and it created quite a cat stir so I decided to post early. Since my guys are indoor cats I thought it best to put them all in an upstairs bedroom while the men were here working because once they removed the old door there was just a big open hole in the wall for hours. I thought Ben would most likely have bolted upstairs or downstairs once the workers arrived and Casper would probably have just watched with interest, but Archie would definitely have made a run for the great outdoors so just to be safe I deposited them in the cat room. I didn’t think this would be a problem given that they sleep together in that room every day basking in the afternoon sun, and there was a litterbox and food and water in there for them. I figured if Ben and Archie were nervous (due to all the construction sounds), Casper's usual nonchalance would keep the tone casual up there. But the second I closed the door Casper was not happy. From downstairs I could hear him yowling and scratching at the door. I left them for a little while to settle down while the work began. Pounding, sawing and drilling ensued for hours; we live in an old house so of course the door that was made did not fit into the existing frame. I know Casper is deaf and could not hear these noises, but the other two must have listened to the strangeness happening outside the bedroom and were glad of their sanctuary. Casper however was not comforted even though I’m certain he could feel the vibrations and the banging. I went into the room to spend some time with them hoping this would help Casper to calm down, but he would not be soothed. He slunk around the room like a caged animal (which technically he was) and darted in and out from under the bed. This broke my heart so I thought maybe I would try letting him out so he could see what was happening in the house. I opened the door, surprisingly the other two just lay on the bed unruffled and watched while Casper poked his nose around the corner (belly low to the ground). From the top of the stairs there is a clear view straight down to the front entrance, but once Casper saw the hole in the wall where the old door used to be he dashed back into the bedroom and went under the bed. Most of the time he is so bold and friendly and relaxed, I can’t figure out why this was such a big deal for him. Perhaps it had something to do with being shut in a room, even a familiar and cozy room. I think the people who had Casper before I adopted him must have shut him up a lot. They gave him up because they thought he was too hyper, so it makes sense (albeit cruel sense) that they might have confined him to one room when they felt he was getting out of hand. So I probably reactivated some kittenhood trauma by closing him in the bedroom, even though he had his brothers with him for company. Believe me when I tell you this was equally, if not more, traumatic for me! I try to create the best environment for my babies that I can to ensure happy well-adjusted cats, so the fact that I brought something scary into Casper’s world makes me sad. When I went in a second time to check on everyone, Ben and Archie were happily snoozing on the bed together but Casper was under the bed again in the farthest corner against the wall. I was heartsick, but felt it best to leave him there until the work was finished (I also needed to do some clean-up since sawdust had landed EVERYWHERE). Once things were back to normal and the workers had left, I released the boys from the bedroom all at the same time.

Casper came downstairs first but dashed behind the sofa in the living room. Archie had no interest in coming downstairs because a fly got in the house when the door was off so he was running all over the place trying to catch it. The only one who took any notice of the new door and went immediately to investigate was Ben which was astonishing because he is the consummate fraidy-cat. Two hours later Casper was still not himself and I thought about getting him high on catnip in the hope he would forget the horrors of the day. But just then he jumped into the windowsill and proceeded to have a bath. Casper washed away his ordeal and when he was finished he curled into a ball and went to sleep

The door still needs painting (ugh more upheaval) but for now at least it’s been installed so the biggest part of the job is over!

17 comments:

♥I am Holly♥ said...

Huffle Mawson sent us to visit with you! Your kitties are absolutely beautiful! Lots of love, Debbie and Holly

Angel Simba said...

Hi. I came from Huffle Mawson's blog to meet you. That is a nice new door. It is interesting how the different kitties reacted to the work being done. They are all very pretty/handsome.

Welcome to cat blogging!

Stella said...

Hello, I am a friend of Huffle Mawson's and she said I should come and say hi to your kitties. I am a Borador dog and I have a muted tortie for my kitty. Come visit us.

Your kitties are so beautiful!

Kisses,
Stella and Zkhat

The Whiskeratti said...

We really hate having strangers in our house, making noise! So we understand why Casper wasn't so happy.

Hi!! We're Toby and Leia. Huffle sent us over to meet you.

Kea said...

Happy Canada Day! It's lovely to meet you all. We came by way of Huffle's blog and it's always great to meet more Canadian humans and cats. We are, in fact, just down (or is that up?) the 401 from you, in Kingston.

We are Annie (9 going on 10, hyper-t now, adoptee from KHS back in August 2001), Nicki (3.5, adopted from Gananoque in April 2007), and Derry (just 3, adopted from Gan. in Dec 2007).

Oh yeah, and the human slave/assistant/can opener is Kim. :-)

If you haven't yet added your blog link (each day you post) to the Cat Blogosphere, I recommend you do. You'll be inundated with visitors! LOL.

http://www.blog.catblogosphere.com/

pbgmomof5 said...

Hi Kitties- We just came by from Huffle's house. She told us there were some very nice kitties wanting to say hi. We don't have a bloggie because our momma hasn't learned how to do it yet, but we really like yours! We had BIG NOISES at our house yesterday too because some noisy men came to work on our patio. We were scared too except for Petey the bravest who is a part-time project safety inspector.

Nice to meet you! Petey, Jack, Spunky, Tabitha Star and Madison LaRue and momma from California

Katnip Lounge said...

Hi!
We came over from Huffle's blog...we are 12 cats living in a little house and a big Catio in Las Vegas. You guys are a buncha very nice looking kitties; stop on over any time!

pee ess: Mommy used to have a Deaf White Cat; she says he was quite a handful!

The Island Cats said...

Hi!!! Huffle told us about you!! Nice to meet you!!

We don't like it when the strange guys come in and make lots of noise! We usually hide under the bed until they go away!!!

Wally, Ernie & Zoey

Ellen Whyte said...

Huffle Mawson sent us to visit. Your Archie is just like my Target. And yes, we hate handymen too. You never know what those evil guys are thinking. Like maybe stealing cat biscuits or something....

meowmeowmans said...

Hi there, beautiful kitties! Our friend Huffle Mason suggested we come over and meet you, so here we are. :)

Your new friends at Animal Shelter Volunteer Life
http://animalsheltervolunteer.blogspot.com/

One Cats Nip said...

Hello all you lovely kitties! My buddy Huffle Mawson told me about you so I came on by! Hello! Oh yea and my Mom wants to say she loves the door!

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Huffle sent me over too, and I have to say, I really hate workers and the havoc they create! I think extra-special treats and lots of catnip are always in order when kitties' lives get disrupted.

Teddy Westlife said...

Lots of lovely visitors! Happy Friday kitties and mum.

Cat said...

Thank you Huffle for sending so many nice folks over to say hello and for reaching out from the blog world to make a cat-to-cat-connection with my babies :-)

The Florida Furkids said...

Huffle sent us too! We don't like it when things are happening at our house either. That door is purrty though!!

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

Forever Foster said...

We came over from Huffle's to say hello! :) Casper, you look a lot like me, all white and fluffy. We hope you all recover from the new door experience soon, and don't give your mum too much of a hard time over it.

Raymond and Busby said...

Hello! It's always scary to have construction going on in the house!

We're Raymond and Busby, we live on the coast in California. Huffle told us we should come by and say hi!

Have a great weekend! Come visit us sometime!